RESTORATION of a 176-year-old building within the grounds of Greenock Cemetery begins next week.
Inverclyde council is moving ahead with the preservation of Ivy House, which dates back to 1846.
The building adjoins the lower parking lot of the crematorium. New staff welfare facilities will also be built as part of the £500,000 project.
The lower parking lot, which serves as an overflow for the large crematorium services, will be closed for the 26 weeks of the project. There will be alternate parking in Greenock Cemetery.
There will also be restrictions on access to Greenock Cemetery from the Bow Road entrance.
Ivy House was originally located in Wellpark but was moved six years later and became a lodge for the cemetery manager. It was then used for storage.
Councilor Michael McCormick, head of environment and regeneration for Inverclyde Council, said: ‘Ivy House has been an integral part of the historic B-listed Greenock Cemetery for almost two centuries, so it is important that we preserve it for future generations, but also to restore it to its former glory as a workplace for our cemetery staff.
“As is the case with projects like this, especially those involving a historic monument, unfortunately there will be disruptions and we thank people in advance for their patience and understanding.
“Once completed, Ivy House will serve as a nod to our rich past, but will also provide modern facilities for our hardworking staff caring for the cemetery, which is one of the largest municipal cemeteries in Europe and the largest war grave cemetery in Scotland.”