A historic Queen Anne and Eastlake cottage-style home south of downtown Monroe served as the residence of a prominent educator in the City of Monroe school system.
The Wossman House, located at 1205 St. John Street, was once the home of schoolteacher and administrator Julia Wossman.
Wossman began teaching in the Monroe city school system in 1898 and was principal of Barkdull Faulk Elementary School from 1921 until her retirement in 1949. She was active in many local organizations, such as the Red Cross, Monroe Recreation Board, Business Professional Women’s Club, Tuberculosis and Public Health Association of Ouachita, and Ouachita Parish Detention Center.
Gayson House:Historic home of black educator Emma Blanche Grayson in Monroe
The house was originally built in 1930 at 313 Wood St., one mile north of its current location toward downtown Monroe. It is shown on this site on a 1932 Sanborn map, according to the National Register of Historic Places, but in 1950 the house was moved to its current location at 1205 St. John St.
The main block of the Wossman House is a gable with a roof ridge parallel to the street. Projecting to the street at one end is a sectional gable bay, and projecting from it is another gable. An Eastlake porch begins at this gable, rounds the corner, and spans the rest of the facade in a general L shape. The two front-facing gables are clad in fish scale shingles.
The edge of the cutaway bay is adorned at the eaves with openwork brackets. Eastlake’s rather elaborate porch has a strong visual presence, with turned abacus-like columns, sun-shaped openwork brackets with ball drops, spindle screen and balustrade.
The exterior is sheathed in narrow-gauge clapboard. Most of the windows in the house are four over four. The original Eastlake front door features various turned and incised elements.
JS Bloch Building:Home to Monroe’s first mail-order liquor business during Prohibition
The floor plan of what is known to be the original part of the house consists of a hall with one room to the south and two rooms to the north. The details are true to the period the house was built – heavily molded doors and windows surrounded by bullseye corner blocks and raised four panel doors.
Some of the doors inside the house have movable transoms and the hallway has paneling of medium gauge beadboard placed vertically. The only surviving mantle has pilasters, a wide simple entablature, and a bracket ending each side that begins at the shelf and extends to the floor.
Wossman died on February 24, 1963, and is buried in Hasley Cemetery in West Monroe. Wossman High School was named in her honor in 1965, and a library at the First Methodist Church, of which she was a member, is also named after her.
Follow Ian Robinson on Twitter @_irobinsonand on Facebook at https://bit.ly/3vln0w1.
Support local journalism by subscribing at https://cm.thenewsstar.com/specialoffer.