Funeral takes place for man who spent months in hospital after swimming incident in Greece


Jonathan Tobin died peacefully at Cork University Hospital on Tuesday evening

Jonathan Tobin (42) from Youghal, Co Cork was laid to rest in North Abbey Cemetery following the funeral mass at Holy Family Church.

Mr Tobin, who had been living in Crete for 12 months before the tragedy, has been left in critical condition at Heraklion University Hospital since the July 29 incident.

A special GoFundMe page has been set up to get him home and he was later flown back to Ireland by air ambulance last month through the government’s treatment abroad scheme.

Mr Tobin then died peacefully at Cork University Hospital on Tuesday evening.

On his page, it is stated that Jonathan (Jiles) Tobin de Youghal passed away, after a short illness at Cork University Hospital.

He adds: “Sadly missed by his parents Margaret and Shane, his brothers Aaron, Ryan, Declan, Darragh and Sean, his grandparents Breada and David, his uncles and aunts Pat, Ann, Marie, Valerie, Marguerite and the late Geraldine, Johnny, Patrick, David and Derek, cousins, relatives, neighbors and friends.

In a previous Facebook post, a friend of the family said they received “much comfort and consolation that family and friends were able to spend some time with him (Jonathan) and that he passed away here in Ireland surrounded by his loved ones.

“It’s been a long road since July but he’s at his final resting place, no more pain. His heart was strong until the very end and that only reflected the person he was. To all those who have helped along the way – huge thank you. Arrangements to follow.”

His mother, Mag Tobin, told the Neil Prendeville show on Cork’s Red FM in early October that she received a phone call on July 30 where she was told her son had been found floating face down in the water .

“Apparently he was there for about twelve minutes and there was a kid (saw him) and he told his dad and they dragged him outside and did CPR on the beach for twenty minutes until the ambulance arrives,” she said.

“They took him to the local hospital which had no facilities for him, so they drove him for two and a half hours to the University Hospital of Heraklion.

“No one saw him go into the water. The beach was packed. They thought he was snorkeling.

“We went there for 12 days when it happened and went back yesterday. We have to bring it home.”

He had lived in England for four or five years before moving to Greece.

Mr Tobin has been staying at his home in Cork during the pandemic.

“He decided to go to Crete and live there. He was a plasterer. He was a great snooker player. He won the Munster championships a few years ago. He was brilliant. Very friendly Now watching it is heartbreaking.

“(Before the accident) he was due to return on September 7. He had bought his ticket.”

She said doctors believed Jonathan had had a stroke in the water.

“His mouth is a bit out of balance, so we think it was a stroke.”

Mag said last October she knew there was no chance of rehabilitation but wanted her son to die in Ireland surrounded by his loving family.


About Author

Comments are closed.