Funds approved for design work for next phase of boardwalk removal | Local News

0

A long-term plan to remove the remainder of the road formerly known as the Robert Moses Parkway moved forward on Wednesday.

The Niagara River Greenway Fund Standing Committee of the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preserve has agreed to allocate $1.5 million to support the “scoping work for the next phase of the project. Scoping involves hiring consultants for the project who will create design concepts, solicit public feedback, and create a project schedule.

The first phase of the project removed a 2-mile stretch of the promenade from Main Street to Findlay Drive and resulted in the reconstruction of Whirlpool Street and a segment of Third Street to accommodate additional traffic.

The second phase, which is currently under consideration, would focus on removing the section of the parkway – now officially known as the Niagara Scenic Parkway – from Findlay Road to the town of Lewiston.

Western District State Parks Superintendent Mark Mistretta said the project is still in its early stages, noting that the process of finding a consultant for the work could take four to five months.

State officials said a funding source would still need to be identified to move the project from the drawing board and into the parkway removal phase. The entire project could take up to five years, state officials said.

Residents who attended Wednesday’s meeting expressed support for the removal of extra walks, with one saying traffic studies showed negligible impact on Lewiston Road with an extra car every five minutes, and another saying they couldn’t think of any downside to it.

Ron Peters, Niagara Region assistant manager for New York State Parks, said there would be plenty of opportunities for further public comment as the process moves forward.

Louis Paonessa, one of the standing committee members who represents the New York Power Authority, said the authority is in the process of replacing the bridges that cross the Robert Moses Dam, so it makes sense that their project is part of the one. -this. He said the authority planned to begin raising public awareness of the project in 2022, but NYS Parks urged the authority to delay the project until Phase 2 of the boardwalk removal had been defined.

The Standing Committee on State Parks is receiving funds from the New York Power Authority as part of a settlement agreement related to the 50-year license the power board received in 2007 to operate the Niagara Power project.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.